Doing PRTF design intuitively, is more difficult than DSPF design.  But
you are right that we need to put more thought into it.  What happened in
your case most likely is that the SPACEA keyword was on the const3 field,
when you conditioned it off, the screen  behaved just like the printer
would and put the second line on top of the first line.   If we were to
preserve the second line where it was, we would have to put a SPACEA
keyword on const2 with a conditioning that would be opposite of the
conditioning that you put on const3.  This is a  pretty big thing to do
under the covers and you can see how you could quickly get into trouble.
What if you changed the conditioning on const3 so that both SPACEA
keywords would be in effect, should we auto-magically update the SPACEA
keyword we added on const2?  What if you really wanted the 2 lines to
merge if you conditioned off that field?

As you can see it is simplest to understand what we are doing for you if
we emulate the printer device.  Now in the case of moving and deleting
fields we do update the SPACE keywords (this is the most complicated
algorithm in all of CODE Designer) but we consciously don't do this for
conditioning off because of all the complicated questions it brings up.

I hope this helps you understand what is going on under the covers.

Edmund Reinhardt, AS/400 AD Tools,  reinhard@ca.ibm.com
Dept 607,   IBM Canada Lab           TL 778-4392  Phone 448-4392

Please respond to code400-l@midrange.com
Sent by:        code400-l-admin@midrange.com