I think both of you make many salient points.

We are an apparel company, more of a wholesale distributor than a manufacturer.

BPCS was chosen several years ago by the "previous administration" and the
implemenation failed.  The current team brought the implementation online
succesfully.  The reasons for failure you can figure out:  scope creep,
inadequately
defined objectives, etc.  Nothing to do with the software.

One issue we have is that BPCS was an inappropriate choice for this particular
business to begin with.  In a way, that had a lot to do with the scope creep:
too much
modification.  However, the company had committed plenty of money and resources
to the implemenation and wanted to bring the systems online.  So, we did.

We have realized much in the way of productivity gains.  This isn't from the
software
per se, but rather from the process improvements made during implementation of
the core ERP and the various bolt-on's we've done.  As David said, this is
really
where your gains materialize, although I must say that some productivity gains
come about purely from using the software to manage processes that were
previously orphaned or not part of a prior solution.

We are on 4.05CD.  As Mitch said, many people stopped OGS and didn't move on to
newer versions.  We are in that boat.  From everything that was reported (on
this list
and elsewhere), V6 was a horrible, painful, unstable product.  From our
experience,
OGS declined remarkably.  We dropped it because we didn't see the point in
paying
for something that wasn't useful to us.  When your own support staff does a
better
job at supporting the product than it's vendor, you know you are in trouble.

Because of all the reports of problems and issues with V6, we decided to avoid
it.
We would not put the business through that kind of pain for any reason.
Implementations are difficult and challenging, but don't have to be painful if
they are
managed correctly.  If you're going to go through that process, the utlimate
goal has
to be that you are much better off when you are done.  We didn't see that
happening
with V6.  So, we didn't upgrade.

Now we are in a position where we are contemplating an upgrade to our iSeries,
and
SSA wants a 3 year OGS contract to issue keys.  We won't pay it.  So, rather
than
write a check to SSA, we will write a check to our equipment vendor (Mitch, as
matter of fact) and get more hard disk space and ram.  Then, we will find a
solution
that is more appropriate for (and more directly supportive of) our particular
business.
We will not upgrade our current box (pay attention, IBM!), but rather will wait
and
place appropriate hardware under a new solution.  That may or may not be
iSeries.

If SSA would be reasonable about keys, we would stay on BPCS.  We might even
contemplate a move to V8.  But, they have chosen to take a hard-line position,
which
in our view eliminates them as a potential vendor.  We do commit to our
vendors, but
we expect our vendors to commit to us.  It is a two way street.  SSA appears to
want
a one-way street.

--Chris