Hi

My company uses BPCS 405 CD and I have been involved in one version or
another of BPCS since the late 1980's.

We use FACILITIES.  We do NOT use LOT CONTROL.  We have found multiple
instances of where some data got into our system that is incorrect with
respect to FACILITY identification and LOT control.  For example, we have
CMF cost records that have no facility, that I think are being generated by
a bug (not yet identified) in CST900.  I have a cost clean up program that
I run periodically to delete thousands of such records, and re-math the
cost buckets that are not adding up right.  For whatever reason, errors can
creep into BPCS data, and we have to have ways to identify and resolve them.

I am dealing with a situation right now in which INV300 / SFC300 / actual
contents of files viewed via RUNQRY *N name of file / and some of our
modifications / are showing DIFFERENT information, and I suspect a job went
down in middle of update such that files got out of sync, and when some
data is invalid (some inventory got posted to an invalid location), many
BPCS programs do not show that which is invalid.

You need to be extremely careful of several things.

1. There are several fields on screens that do not come from a single
source, that are calculated based on the FILTERS and on many screens all
the filters are not grouped together in one place.  The files with this
information such as ILI IWI IIM can get out of sync with each other, and
need to be periodically reorganized into agreement.  I have a set of
options that I run to do this both weekly, and any time we identify
negative allocations into MRP, INV300 screens that do not add up right, and
other symptoms.  Check out the archives of BPCS_L with respect to the topic
REORG.

2. YTD is often misconstrued by the users.  It is supposed to contain the
total through LAST fiscal, not including current month MTD.  To get true
YTD, you must add MTD into the total.  There are some files (see SSD SSH
for example) with rolling YEAR totals (month 01 02 03 04 etc. are based on
going back into history, in which at month end fiscal, month 12 is zeroed,
11 stuff moved into 12, 10 into 11 etc. with 01 being zeroed for new
stuff.) which means that there is data there for both the current fiscal
year, and the months left in this fiscal year are containing data from last
fiscal year, which means reports need to be smart enough to exclude last
year from YTD totals.

3. You might want to review the ITE file for what activity is defined as a
receipt, and what is defined to be invisible to some areas, such as General
Ledger.

4. You might also look at BPCS_L archives for BPCS Education for Beginners,
and how to navigate the BPCS Documentation.

5.  I found it interesting for example to compare what the BPCS
documentation on INV had to say about various transaction effects as
opposed to how they now running for us, which identified those that someone
at our company had altered.

6.  You might want to walk through the SYS800 screens, printing one of
each, for your reference, to see what system parameters exist there (there
are also some accounting programs that perform similar roles).  I do not
believe that any of this has any bearing on your current question, with the
sole exception of how your fiscal year is defined (what data in the YEAR
history does not belong in YTD totals).  But having SYS800 screen prints
handy will be reassuring to help you see what the system parameters do control.

6. There are ways to identify which BPCS programs update what fields, look
at the XREF menu for example, and BPCS_L archives, but that can be an
exercise in futility for you.  The most likely, based on my experience with
BPCS beginners, is a combination of the FILTERS and misconstruing what the
data is supposed to be showing.

Hi,

I have 15+ years systems administration and programming but am new to
BPCS (3 months).  My company uses BPCS 4.05 CD.  The Material Status
Inquiry screen (INV300) does not display the correct MTD and YTD totals
for the item.  For instance, the YTD total will show 6 receipts, but
when you view the history of the item, it shows 12.  What programs
update these fields and are there system parameters that can be set that
also affect the totals?

Thanks in advance!

Andrea Hardiman
Ridewell Corporation