Don,

I haven't worked with it much.  I use BookStack CMS to host books I have written.  It runs on i (of course) and uses Laravel.  What I like is that in the case of BookStack, Laravel allows you easily override existing exiting "base" functionality that you have written, much like having a library of core functions and then putting another library in the library list ahead of it that modifies or overrides a function.  It's pretty simple in concept and implementation.

That is always the advantage of using a framework, you get lots of helpful OOTB functionality you don't have to write.  Weighing that against the bulk and learning curve of a framework is the challenge.

Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java
GIAC Cloud Penetration Tester