There are also many good reasons to roll your own, especially if it's already rolled.

And for the record, there are already many other ways to easily wrapper SQL and RPG with rest APIs. In fact he may already have that in his existing Java service perhaps....

In regards to support, I'm not sure if the internal IBM cycle times have improved, but in the past trying to get support for things like say: SAMBA took yeeeeeears.

And then it might not be available for a current release for 6-12+ months or in today's vernacular the next technical refresh.

If being nimble is at stake that may not be the best approach.

You just have to evaluate what's best for your dev shop.

For my development needs in IWS isn't that cigar. But others may find IWS totally useful.

Regards,
Richard Schoen
Web: http://www.richardschoen.net
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
------------------------------

message: 3
date: Wed, 15 Apr 2020 12:54:39 +0000
from: "Tim Rowe" <timmr@xxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: [WEB400] Reg: IWS in IBMi

But, if you want to have support, a step forward, if you want to be able
to easily add new Rest or Soap services over your existing ILE programs or
services programs, or even be able to now wrapper SQL with a Rest API.
?IWS provides an integrated set of wizard to create these apis as well as
the engine to support and if you have an issue, you call IBM. ?If you need
something new ? ?Then you ask IBM and we do the development work, and add
it to the product.?
?
There are many good reason to leverage something vs role your own.?
?
?

Tim Rowe, timmr@xxxxxxxxxx
Business Architect Application Development & Systems Management for IBM i
IBM i ISV Council
IBM i Development Lab, Rochester, MN
(507) 253-6191 (Tie) 553-6191

http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/software/i/are/index.html