1: If we remove the word "average" then the answer is yes. It is certainly possible. Is it the easiest technique for an RPGer to learn? Maybe - if they are already SQL literate. For me it isn't because of the arcane nature of the SQL syntax.

2: How long is a session? 5 days? And I don't really see the connection between the two. Mostly I'll use IWS to provide a web service and (for me) HTTPAPI or SQL to consume one. Few RPGers will be consuming their own services. Most will either be proving or consuming. And if consuming the complexity of the service will determine whether I can even use SQL.

3: Yes - many, many shops. Hell I wouldn't have any work if there weren't. At the latest RPG & DB2 Summit we had close to 140 RPG programmers from 85 companies ALL of whom are writing new RPG code.

But my real answer to your first 2 questions is that in some ways they are the wrong questions. Or rather they are more specific than they should be.

There's only really one question. Can RPGers be taught to consume web services ? And the answer is - Absolutely.