Hi Booth,

Below are your questions with my thoughts:

Can I put the web page on the same server as provides the web services?  I have no idea, i don't even want to
   know.

Err, you asked the question, but you don't want to know?  I assume you do want to know.

First of all, the answer is yes.

First option: When you create a server with IWS, it generates an Apache server that acts as a front-end for the application server.  For example, if you told IWS to generate a server named 'BOOTHIWS', you should have an IFS directory /www/BOOTHIWS/htdocs and inside that you can put html, javascript,. css,. images, etc. etc.  The only caveat is that IWS expects any URL whose path begins with /web/ to point to the integrated application server. http://yourserver:xxx/my.html will work fine but you can't use http://yourserver:xxx/web/my.html because the IWS tooling expects to handle anything beneath /web/.   Also, there's a normal Apache instance there, you can go into it and add any other aliases, scriptaliases, etc that you want.   If you do want to bypass CORS using the ACOA header you can add it into this Apache config, using Nadir's example as a template.

The 2nd alternative (which you won't like, so why I am saying it?!) is that you could use Apache for your web services instead of IWS.  Since IWS isn't there to handle the JSON code, you use something like YAJL or SQL instead.   This way, there is only one server.  This is how I do it.

The 3rd alternative is to use this method of setting up Apache and using it's reverse proxy feature.  This is the most complicated and requires the most system resources of the possible options, but seems to be the road you were heading down.  I don't think I'd go that way, myself.

I can consume that data off my PC's browser with no problem but from a server at the same root url?  Things go all wobbly, which
I suspect is a reflection upon my ignorance of the processes involved.

Yes, if you're using a server with the same root, there's no CORS issue.  (That's what you're asking, right?)