I needed to start at a lower level.

1. apache and html. no cgi.  just a splash screen.
2. Come up with a specific example.  Nothing hypothetical or that
promises rainbows & glitter.  Hello World stuff.
3. It's not of any use if the end product is "Here's a .json file."
So yes, it has to include HTML.  Exactly how that is handled becomes
a part of the problem.

Are there some hurdles?  Sure.  The whole idea that it  has to include webmaster stuff seems a bridge too far,  but if I can do it, it's doable by any RPG programmer out there.

The decisions about cgi, php, python, java, javascript, .css and on and on is a tough one; lots of good & valid experiences. That discussion is way out there though; maybe that is a Level 3 or Level 4 discussion?

As a for instance, if a person came away from session 1 being able to get the Apache servers started and change the "Apache Default" screen replaced by a screen that says "Jon is the MAN!" ... well...  that a pretty good step 1 In my opinion.  If the page also had a photo of someone's dog?  well, that'd just showing off, right?