Thanks Nadir and Tim!  I was confused about how to specify parameters. I've only ever used the query parameters; I didn't realize you could pass parameters as path data.

Now things are making a bit more sense. In the IWS "Deploy New Service" configuration, when it gets to "Specify resource method information" for unwrapped parameters, has a drop-down list to select a parameter's "Input Source"; the list contains

*QUERY_PARAM
*PATH_PARAM
*FORM_PARAM
*COOKIE_PARAM
*HEADER_PARAM
*MATRIX_PARAM
*NONE

What you guys just pointed out is the difference between *QUERY_PARAM and *PATH_PARAM.  If I've got this right, this tells the web service server where to get the parameter value from so it can pass it in as a parameter to my service program procedure, so I don't have to do that work.  Is that correct?

So I started over with IWS.  Now I have

Base resource URL: http://1.2.3.4:10010/web/services/RT0200S

 Procedure name:                      GETCASESTATUS
 HTTP request method:                 GET
 URI path template for method: /email/{email}/casenbr/{casenbr ^[0-9]+$}
 HTTP response code output parameter: *NONE
 HTTP header array output parameter:  *NONE
 Allowed input media types:           *ALL
 Returned output media types:         *XML
 Input parameter mappings:
 Parameter name  Data type       Input source Identifier       Default Value
 PEMAIL          char            *PATH_PARAM email            *NONE
 PCASENBR        packed          *PATH_PARAM     casenbr ^[0-9]+$ *NONE

Which as I understand it, means my URL for this should be

 http://1.2.3.4:10010/web/services/RT0200S/email/test@xxxxxxxxxxx/casenbr/12345

Is that correct? I'm guessing not, because it returns "HTTP 404 - Not found".

It would be helpful if IWS showed what it expects the composite URL for a given method to look like.

--
*Peter Dow* /
Dow Software Services, Inc.