From: WEB400 [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jon Paris
Sent: Monday, October 08, 2018 11:28 AM
To: Web400@Midrange. Web400
Subject: Re: [WEB400] HTTP instance - apache configuration/directive quesiton - updated program deployment

I would say that the option you describe as #2 would be the norm. Your method of having a completely different library seems a little odd and I can't think of any real advantage to doing it that way rather than a straight replacement.

This is not really an HTTP problem as it would apply with any long running NEP type scenario. The main problem is that you have to come up with a mechanism to have the server job re-resolve the program when needed. There have been several solutions proposed on these lists to deal with this but in essence they all come down to the same thing.

The program that is _calling_ the one subject to replacement needs to be using a variable (name and lib) for the program being called - not a straight call with LIBL control. It must then check some kind of flag (data area, user space, whatever) to see if a re-resolve is needed. If it is then it must first change the name/lib being used and do a call. In your case I guess this could be to the N library. Normally it is to a dummy do-nothing program that simply returns. The caller then changes the call target variable back to the correct nam/lib and calls again. This second call will force re-resolution of the program pointer.

Another alternative that works with regular program replacement is to use a *New AG - but that is expensive CPU wise.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com