thanks Jon!

the IsSMTP( ) got me past the problem.

$mail->IsSMTP();
$mail->Host = "localhost";

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 7:06 PM, Jon Paris <jon.paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well I would certainly activate debug - that should help - see my example
below.

I don't see where you have set the host - have you used the config for
that?

Anyway - here's a working example from my system.

<?php
/**
* This example shows sending a message using a local sendmail binary.
*/

error_reporting(E_ALL);
ini_set('display_errors', TRUE);
ini_set('display_startup_errors', TRUE);

require 'PHPMailerAutoload.php';

// Create a new PHPMailer instance
$mail = new PHPMailer;

// Set PHPMailer to use the SMTP transport
$mail->isSMTP();

// Set debug to verbose
$mail->SMTPDebug = 2;
$mail->Debugoutput = 'html';

// Set authorization required and host location
$mail->SMTPAuth = true;

$mail->Host = 'tls://smtp.gmail.com:587';

$mail->Username = 'fred@xxxxxxx'; // SMTP account username
$mail->Password = "fredspw"; // SMTP account password

// Set who the message is to be sent from
$mail->setFrom('SiD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx', 'RPG & DB2 Summit Exhibitors');

// Set who the message is to be sent to
$mail->addAddress('Jon.f.Paris@xxxxxxxxx', 'Jon gmail');

// Set the subject line
$mail->Subject = 'Testing email password';

// Read an HTML message body from an external file, convert referenced
images to embedded,
// convert HTML into a basic plain-text alternative body
Jons Mac using SiD account');

// Replace the plain text body with one created manually
$mail->AltBody = 'Simple plain text alternative';

// send the message, check for errors
if (!$mail->send()) {
echo "Mailer Error: " . $mail->ErrorInfo;
} else {
echo "Message sent!";
$mail->clearAllRecipients();
}