Tim,

I'm not sure when you tried limit/offset on Db2, but IBM did deliver some
performance improvements late last year in 7.2 TR7 and 7.3 TR3. Basically,
the function was pushed down into the query engine (SQE) itself. Prior to
this, the function was implemented "above" the query engine, so that the
optimizer wasn't really involved. If you have a chance to try the newer
implementation, I think you'll find the performance to be much more in
line with your expectations.

Announcement here: https://ibm.co/2jCA3qs

Tim Clark
Db2 for IBM i

date: Mon, 7 May 2018 08:49:15 +0000
from: Tim Fathers <X700-IX2J@xxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: [WEB400] mysql does not have table functions?

...I agree, but in my experience the difference was significant,
instead of getting pages in milliseconds we were getting them in
seconds or even tens of seconds, which gave a completely
unacceptable user experience. It looked like no index was used to do
the limit/offset, I hope they have/will optimise it, as you say,
it's a far more readable construct.