I would think if you're mainly using SQL in your PHP business object layer it would be relatively easy to port to a hosted provider as long as your SQL is using methods supported by DB2 or MySql, Postgres, SQL Server etc.

The difference will always be with stored procedures. If you're using Sprocs all bets are off regardless of platform. There will be some re-work guaranteed.

You could always write the app to use MySql over DB2 on IBMi and then it would be very easy to port I would think if you stick with MySql/MariaDb.

If you're going for multiplatform you might consider MySql/MariaDb or Postgres as the DB options of choice unless you'll be hosting on Windows servers. Then SQL Server could make sense. Although SQL Server does now have a new Linux version as well.

SQLite is cool too if you have a low-volume app because it doesn't require a backend DB server running. This could work nicely on one of the low cost hosted environments like Linode or Amazon EC2/Lightsail or Azure.

Regards,

Richard Schoen
Director of Document Management
e. richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx