In regards to this question: "You may copy IBM i node toolkit code to client and call IBM i from anywhere." That has not been my experience.

The XMLCGI method is required to make the iToolkit work on any platform (including Mac or Linux) without a database driver. You're essentially making rest-style calls to the XMLSERVICE API from Node, PHP, .Net, etc.

From my understanding the DB2 transport only works when connecting to XMLSERVICE locally on the IBMi machine.

If you have enough active Apache Server CGI threads defined or running I imagine we're talking milliseconds differences between native DB2 and HTTP/XMLCGI call response times.

Regards,

Richard Schoen
Director of Document Management
e. richard.schoen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx