It's not that we're going to have that many concurrent users by this time next year. But the nature of our business environment is rapidly changing, and we want both the capacity and flexibility to stay competitive with companies like Amazon and Walmart. Or to have the capacity and flexibility to partner with them well. Our position in the food supply chain and the changing nature of our business could lead to very high volumes of concurrency sooner than we expect. Or not. But we've been asked to be flexible and prepared.

We have some critical software on the IBM i at the moment. There are lots of ways for .NET apps to access IBM i files and programs. I think most or all of these ways could be useful and successful for particular IBM i shops. I don't think there's one solution for everyone. The question for my shop is which solution suits both what we need today and where we want to be in terms of future flexibility and capability. It's laying a foundation of skillsets and strategies-not just solving the immediate problem of our .NET apps accessing our IBM i files and programs.

Again, if I had all the answers, I wouldn't be coming here asking for people to knock down my ideas. It's through these conversations that I learn things I didn't know (like CGI on the IBM i may have better performance than CGI on other systems) and be forced to think about things that I hadn't considered (like the performance of V8 compilation on the IBM i compared to other platforms).

Thanks,

Kelly Cookson
IT Project Leader
Dot Foods, Inc.