On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 8:06 AM, Kelly Cookson <KCookson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

My understanding is that you can use Node.JS through CGI, but that is not
required. If we use node and Express to set up a node web server, then use
the Node Toolkit for i, I think it's using stored procedures under the
covers for performance reasons. We would not be using the Apache web server
and CGI.

Express is just a way to serve content just like Apache and CGI. You could
also use the built in http module in node instead of express.

In fact, I did a node project and started with express. Because it was
just a data server/webhook app, I decided to remove express. The app when
from 32 meg to under 1 meg in size because of all the dependencies.

I wouldn't use Express for simple data serving. Maybe for web sites, but
not web services. Did they remove david hasslehoff picture dependency from
express yet? lol.. there was some funny stuff in there for sure.

CGI is a perfectly fine technology. It can satisfy needs in many cases.
I'm not saying everyone should avoid CGI.

Would you care to explain what is the difference between CGI and
Node/Express? Maybe we're looking at this differently, when they're really
not.

We want to plan for fast performance under very high volumes of concurrent
requests. We feel node would offer better performance than CGI under those
conditions. (If this isn't the case, then IBM is doing node wrong on the
IBM i.)

I would put money on CGI over Node, especially for high volumes.

Not to mention, you probably have most of the business logic already in
your COBOL programs. Service the data up as JSON would be simple compared
to starting to put all those node dependencies out there.

Not saying node is bad... but you're view of what CGI is, what will be
faster is being muddle with what is "hip" I think. :)

It's not about IBM doing node wrong, it's just hard to compete with the
more native interface when it comes to speed. IBM is simply offering
different avenues of getting from point A to point B.. which is good. But
that doesn't mean it's faster.