The people who argue DB server CPU cycles have specifics. It's academic to me, since everything runs on my POWER7.

For the DB's, I'm talking about the actual code to makes up DB. For example, the code that IBM compiles and ships as Db2 as a part of IBMi. The devs writing the JS language can't make a change in Db2 (or Oracle or SQL Server). If they want to make a change, it will need to be in JS (excepting FOSS DB's of course).

-----Original Message-----
From: Nathan Andelin [mailto:nandelin@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, March 26, 2018 2:49 PM
To: Web Enabling the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries) <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [WEB400] dataformatting in nodeJS SQL interface with IBM db2a

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 1:25 PM, Justin Taylor <JUSTIN@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've seen people argue that CPU cycles on DB servers are incredibly
precious, and work should be offloaded when possible.

That argument appear to be conveniently ambiguous (work should be offloaded when possible). Don't you think it makes more sense to study application architecture and make decisions about where work should be processed based on good information and clear thinking?

It's also possible that they take the a similar view as Henrik.

I understand that different people will have different priorities. People divide into different camps, and take different positions. I don't expect everyone to agree.

The JS guys control the client and can make changes there.

I get that.

All of the various DB providers are beyond their direct control.

Could you clarify what you mean by DB providers? And who are you referring to in the phrase "their direct control"?