Hi Nathan,

That must be a stretch for a lot of developers, particularly traditional
IBM i developers who are accustomed to having the operating system
manage concurrency and the resource requirements of other processes.

Yes, I too think that asynchronous programming will be one of the biggest challenges for CL/RPG/COBOL programmers. How developers respond to that question will depend on the individual, of course. I see it as an exciting challenge—the way I enjoy solving a puzzle. But I can certainly understand other developers being put off by it.

In regard to your batch example, Node.js developers should be aware of the
additional overhead and latency added by using Node.js language constructs
that yield control to the event loop.

I tried clicking the link you offered, but I kept getting a 504 error. Maybe it’s my connection?

Although there may be some overhead associated with worker threads, businesses that use Node have often been able to handle more requests more quickly while reducing the number of servers they use. Here is a slideshow that mentions some examples:
https://www.slideshare.net/joemccann/the-business-case-for-node
Also, when Walmart put 55% of its Black Friday web traffic on Node, CPU usage hovered around 1%.

It’s not just asynchronous programming, though. You have know what you’re doing with Node and its modules to get these kinds of results. Netflix learned that the hard way:
https://medium.com/netflix-techblog/node-js-in-flames-ddd073803aa4

Thanks,

Kelly Cookson
IT Project Leader