Times and people have changed since IBM's big Java push.
From: Aaron Bartell [aaronbartell@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2018 8:23 AM
To: Web Enabling the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Rise of Node

Anyone that's worked with Javascript will tell you it can be an absolute
nightmare, apart from the fact Javascript itself it a poor language in
which to write business logic,

I need to understand context. Are you talking about writing Javascript on
the client or on the server? The server is a different world where you get
to control literally everything (what Javascript version is used, when it
is upgraded, etc).

Any project you write will inevitably depend on other libraries, which
often take a cavalier approach to backwards compatibility and you can end
up in dependency hell.

Is this not something the server-side developer is in full control of?
Picking safe/dependable packages is an important part of being an open
source programmer (Node.js, Ruby, Python, PHP). For the record, and maybe
this is what you are getting at, there have been some missteps in the
Node.js community. Those have since been corrected.

Concerning relating the poor adoption of Java on IBM i to what Node.js will
have; I think that you're going to fail to prove your point. Many are
already willingly and excitedly embracing it.

As with any new technology, it should be embraced with great scrutiny to
make sure it will serve the needs of your organization. I say that because
I appreciate certain aspects of your arguments. But you're not giving
Javascript/Typescript enough credit for the strides that have been made the
past few years.

Aaron Bartell
IBM i hosting, starting at $157/month. litmis.com/spaces