From: Nathan Andelin [mailto:nandelin@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, December 30, 2016 3:35 PM
To: Web Enabling the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries) <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [WEB400] In-house authentication & authorization

I'd say that CGI uses profile swapping. Why else would the job user
be a server account while the current user is the end-user?

I understand you don't want to divulge the specifics of your
proprietary framework.

I often do divulge specifics about my framework. However, I may not fully understand your question. And given your background with IBM i CGI you may have trouble understanding something which is different. Sorry for the frustration.

We only use the Apache server for handling communications between browsers and our web applications, and for serving static content. Our web applications run in separate subsystems, and are independent of the HTTP server.

The following diagram may help:

https://rd.radile.com/rdweb/info2/onepoint.png

Our OnePoint Portal is a vehicle for launching applications from a menu system. By launching, I mean that new JOBS are submitted when users click on menu items.

When the new JOB starts, it registers itself with a server which I call "a Switch", which maintains a linked list of all web application JOBS, including information for routing HTTP requests to each one. In these JOBs the "Current user profile" and the "Job User Identity" which are shown via WRKJOB are always the same. We aren't doing profile swapping. Whoever clicks the menu item, becomes the "user" of that JOB (their user profile is referenced in the SBMJOB command).

When the Apache server receives a request for one of these JOBs, it gets routing information from the Switch, forwards the request to that JOB and waits for a response.

This architecture has a number of advantages over IBM's CGI interface, from a work management perspective.

I've begun blogging about this at:

https://rd.radile.com/rdweb/info2/ibmiuix.html

I plan on writing additional documentation in 2017.

HTH.