On 12/2/2015 2:25 PM, Rob wrote:
I am using db2_pconnect. I am not using odbc.

Right. Terminology will get us all in the end, I suspect. You are not
using ODBC to connect to the server, but you ARE using the ODBC Database
Catalogue. The View called SQLCOLUMNS is the way ODBC interrogates the
system to find out about the database. DB2 for i has three separate
Database Catalogues:
IBM i (SYSCOLUMNS)
ODBC (SQLCOLUMNS)
ISO (COLUMNS)

I am on IBM i v7r1 and using DB2 exclusively.

The... debate in the past few posts is whether you are able to simply
switch to SYSCOLUMNS (and therefore use the IBM i-specific catalogue) or
if there's some organic reason you can only use SQLCOLUMNS. If you are
limited to SQLCOLUMNS (ODBC's catalogue) then Chuck's suggestion was to
modify it. Or, more to the point, to ask IBM to modify it.

I have discovered that
what I am looking for may be in hidden columns...

If you are referring to 'System i Navigaotr also shows a Heading1
column... which is the same as column_text. But it does not show up in a
select *.' I don't know what View you are looking at... HEADING1 is not
in my 7.2 SQLCOLUMNS.