I did something similar with a CGI app I had to write that would pass data back to a mobile phone app service we used to build our mobile app. I added code to the RPG app to look at the IP address and I also had the remote developer include a string of characters in the request as a parameter as a guard against a spoofed IP address. It would be nice if there was a layer above the RPG app that could be configured for the security. Like when doing the configuration steps you could specify some kind of access control that would be check at the web server level, maybe using an Apache mod that IBM would provide.

-----Original Message-----
From: WEB400 [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bradley Stone
Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2015 8:45 AM
To: Web Enabling the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries) <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [WEB400] RESTful web service using RPG

Mike,

You can easily create an IP whitelist for RPG CGI applications and program that into the web service.

You could also require some sort of authentication either at the HTTP header or data level (I've seen both ways).

Creating a web service is no different than creating a dynamic web page in most ways. Read the input, write out the output.

Brad
www.bvstools.com

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 7:12 AM, Mike Cunningham <mike.cunningham@xxxxxxx>