Hi Buck,

You ask a very good question and it has everything to do with where you
want your shop to be.

Some shops I am working with have determined Ruby is going to be their
long-term language and all their RPG coders are being tasked to learn the
language and frameworks. Some shops are fine with an initial thin layer of
open source lang on the front-end and then making use of every last bit of
existing RPG logic via XMLSERVICE. This latter approach probably has the
biggest/quickest payback on existing investment and spring boarding a new
web app.

At the end of the day there should be only ONE version of business logic.
Otherwise you are just asking for trouble. If business logic starts moving
to PHP then you can start offering that logic as a webservice for RPG to
consume (if it needs to).

Aaron Bartell
litmis.com - Services for open source on IBM i