From: Aaron Bartell <aaronbartell@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: "WEB400" <web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Web Enabling the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)" <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Node and NPM don't work properly on some LPARS?
Date: Thu, Oct 15, 2015 8:33 AM

Looks like I have the same problem.

v0.12.7: [1]https://bitbucket.org/snippets/litmis/LLR5j (doesn't work)
v0.10.35: [2]https://bitbucket.org/snippets/litmis/KKR5d (works)

Aaron Bartell
litmis.com - Services for open source on IBM i

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 8:17 AM, Kevin Turner
<kevin.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

[3]https://gist.github.com/kpturner/0c7104b32ecca7689fc0

> You just run "node main.js" and the main process fires up a worker
child
> and then repeatedly asks it to convert a string to upper case on a 1
second
> interval.
>
> On our servers on 0.12.7 this fails immediately because the child
process
> gets terminated for no logical reason.
>
> Our problem may not be related to node at all of course, but something
odd
> on the LPARs that do not work.
>
> Cheers
> Kevin

Kevin
> Turner
> Sent: 15 October 2015 13:54
> To: Web Enabling the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries) <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [WEB400] Node and NPM don't work properly on some LPARS?
>
> OK - well we have reported two main issues:
>
> 1) A node child process should not just end unless it is a)
killed or
> b) it runs process.exit()
> Our simple test code shows this failing in our duff LPARS, but OK on
> others with earlier versions of node
> 2) When "npm install" runs it caches its packages in your local
.npm
> folder. After that, it cannot access its own cache and every
subsequent
> "npm install" fails with "uid must be an unsigned integer". You have
> run "npm cache clear" before every install to make it work!

Aaron
> Bartell
> Sent: 15 October 2015 13:47
> To: Web Enabling the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries) <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [WEB400] Node and NPM don't work properly on some LPARS?
>
> I have 0.12.7 installed but haven't experienced that (yet). I also
have a
> boatload of perzl stuff in my PATH and LIBPATH so I don't consider my
> environment very "stock" at this point.
>
> Aaron Bartell
> litmis.com - Services for open source on IBM i
>

> On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 6:33 PM, Kevin Turner <
> kevin.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
> > Even more bizarrely, forked child processes just end straight away.
> > They really do seem to have made a complete mess of it in v0.12.7.
> > V0.10.5 seems fine.
> >
> > Sent from my iPad
> >
> > > On 14 Oct 2015, at 20:55, Kevin Turner
> > > <kevin.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > ls -all /home/kturner
> > >
> > > total 304
> > >
> > > drwxrwsrwx 4 kturner 0 12288 Oct 14 20:51 .
> > >
> > > drwxrwsrwx 20 qsys 0 24576 Oct 14 14:56 ..
> > >
> > > drwxrwsrwx 3 kturner 0 8192 Oct 14 16:30
.node-gyp

> > > drwxrwsrwx 204 kturner 102 102400 Oct 14 20:51 .npm
> > >
> > > -rw------- 1 kturner 0 1554 Oct 14 20:51
.sh_history

> > > $
> > >

> > > Display Authority
> > >

> > > Object . . . . . . . . . . . . : /home/kturner/.npm
> > >
> > > Type . . . . . . . . . . . . . : DIR
> > >
> > > Owner . . . . . . . . . . . . : KTURNER
> > >
> > > Primary group . . . . . . . . : QPGMR
> > >
> > > Authorization list . . . . . . : *NONE
> > >

> > > Data --Object Authorities--
> > >
> > > User Authority Exist Mgt Alter Ref
> > >
> > > *PUBLIC *RWX X X X X
> > >
> > > KTURNER *RWX X X X X
> > >
> > > QPGMR *RWX X X X X
> > >

> > > The other oddity is that it seems unable to locate dependency
> > > packages
> > at run time, even though they are all there under the top level
> > node_modules folder.

Aaron

kevin.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<[7]mailto:kevin.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

[13]http://archive.midrange.com/web400.