Kelly

Even though this tread is about SPA’s no one says that a business
application can’t be built in a combination of traditional pages and SPA’s.

In the business applications I builds a SPA is very similar to a 5250 ‘Work
With’ or ‘Order Entry’ program that basically consist of Grids and Form for
a ‘Function’ or an ‘Entity’.

The different ‘SPA’s’ are controlled by a Viewport that basically is a menu
system that controls a number of ‘SPA’s’ running in their own IFRAME’s. The
difference from a 5250 menu system is that you in a Viewport can have many
SPA’s active at the same time and the user can switch between them by
pressing the active tab or start a new from the accordion menu without
closing the present.

Each IFRAME uses big JS and CSS files that have to be shared/cached due to
performance and not to cause memory overloading the entire ‘session’. In
this context metatags that reloads everything is a bad idea.

And if you also have hundreds of these small SPA’s they may run on
different versions of JS files since updating from let’s say Angular 1.x to
2.x is a huge task so you will eventually end up with SPA 1, 3, 5 running
version 1.x and SPA 2, 4, 6 running version 2.x. You may even have SPA’s
where some runs Angular and others run EXT JS. Running the SPA’s in
IFRAME’s with caching ensures best performance.

IMO running an entire business application based on a single SPA is
shooting yourself in the foot.