Since the RPGNEXTGEN JSON service program works well (and is embedded in lots of places here) but is appallingly slow at parsing strings, I have left it alone and simply replaced all calls the json_parse() with my own YAJL wrapper called yajl_parseinto(). So this uses Scott's port of the YASL parser, and then walks through the tree building an rpgnextgen json object. Despite doing all this work, the difference is still significantly faster:

JSON parse=16022ms
YAJL parse=322ms

-----Original Message-----
From: WEB400 [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kevin Turner
Sent: 01 June 2015 21:49
To: Web Enabling the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: Re: [WEB400] receiving POST encoded in JSON

Not as stunned as me - because I am using it in production, and now face a rather onerous re-engineering process :( Serves me right for not doing more thorough research into the options. On the flip side, it does help me explain some trouble performance bottlenecks.

As it happens, I do have a "use case" where I need to walk through a JSON with no prior knowledge of its exact content. It involves simply comparing the JSON (a data model for a context) with the previous version (stored in a session) to work out what the delta is. I basically need to know that a node is new, missing or changed to build the delta with no assumed knowledge of what the nodes are. I expect the yajl_xxxx_parse will enable me to do this.