Kevin,

We benchmarked many JSON parsers before porting YAJL. The one from RPGNextGen.com was, unfortunately, the slowest and most limited of all the tools we tried. This was unfortunate, because I had high hopes for it, and wanted to use it... Maybe it has improved since our benchmarks? (Nearly 3 years ago.)

Sorry that you don't like the names I picked (such as yajl_tree_load_buf). But, as YAJL has two different parser styles (analogous to DOM vs SAX) and can load data from different sources (such as a stream file vs. a buffer) I felt that using names like "json_parse" would be ambiguous. (At least, until we have support for overloading in RPG!)

I appreciate your feedback.

-SK