Kelly

I'm going to throw in a concept that may already have been raised, but OK -

All that ASP.net and CGIDEV2 do is write text out through a web server that gets delivered to a browser. The "program" you write with ASP.net runs in IIS and generates the appropriate CGI stuff. CGIDEV2 generates CGI stuff through procedures you call -

So I guess I don't know the need for your COBOL people to learn ASP.net - except maybe for something you mentioned - server-side stuff?

Which makes me think of another thing - what you create with CGIDEV2 probably won't be delivered using IIS, right? It'd be the Apache server on i.

But seems to me you can create end-to-end apps using COBOL and CGIDEV2 procedures - that's all that's needed.

With CGIDEV2 you are going to put together the HTML in templates and fill in variables, basically - you have to have built the HTML - and that's not an ASP.net thing, that's HTML[5?] and CSS and all that.

That is probably over-simplifying things, but at the bottom of it all, you are just creating text to distribute across a network - whether you use ASP.net as a front end or you use CGIDEV2 procedures, matters little to the end user. ASP.net will likely have better widgets and structures than raw CGIDEV2, but that's what some of the CGIDEV2-based frameworks are about.

OK, enough for now - this has been interesting to watch!!

HTH
Vern