Jon,

No you explained that you'd have to define a X(10) field and move 'AB' to
it.  :)

So if the caller is expecting X(10), to pass a literal AB, you'd have to
pass 'AB        '...which is what I asked a few posts ago.

Surprised IBM hasn't added some sort of prototyping functionality to the
linkage section.

Wonder if z/OS COBOL is any different...

Charles