Brad said something (that I interpreted) to that effect.

How can you have a field the same length if you can pass a literal?

If the parm is 10A, and you want to pass 'HI' to you have to pass 'HI
 '?

I've never used COBOL on the i, but my first paid language was COBOL...so I
was curious enough to glance through than ILE COBOL manuals :)

Charles