Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com

On Feb 3, 2015, at 11:23 AM, Koester, Michael <mkoester@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks Pete.
Do you know of any RPG/SQL tricks to trap SQL injection? My embedded SQL uses static SQL statements only (currently), and I'm validating the inputs by testing fields that should be numeric for numerals only, email addresses for permitted characters only (no blanks or back-slashes, etc.) and proper acct@domain structures...
But I do not know anything about CSRF and XSS.
Not being Java/PHP-proficient, I humbly admit to limitations.
-- Michael

-----Original Message-----
From: WEB400 [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pete
Helgren
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 10:44 AM
To: Web Enabling the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Security for web site accessing i via IWS

Michael,

If you are current on PTF's then any SSL concerns should be mitigated.
The greatest points of exposure are SQL injection, CSRF and XSS. SQL
injection would be handled at the server (which I would guess you are
aware of) and the CSRF and XSS vulnerabilities would be handled by you
sanitizing all the inputs and outputs from your web service, again, stuff
you are probably familiar with. Since most of my stuff is using Java on
the backend on IBM i, I rely on the ESAPI libraries to check and sanitize.
With RPG your work will be more manual.

If you are using SSL both for the web site and web services called, then
your data should remain safe in transit. The session management stuff
recommended by Nathan is sane as well. I haven't worked with web services
for a while but I do remember the authentication step was key (and maybe
overly complicated in my apps).

I don't see any glaring holes in what you propose.

Pete Helgren
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java