Nathan,

content-type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

will set the server in BINARY mode

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 5:57 PM, Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for the replies Kevin and Henrik. I am using DefaultNetCCSID 1208
to handle UTF-8 encoding, which appears to work as expected for "text"
content types.

Henrik's explanation of the HTTP server going into binary mode whenever
content type is anything other than "text" is completely inline with my
testing. Luckily for me, the people on this list are so willing to share
information. I searched high and low over the internet for an explanation
to what I was observing before finally turning here. I assumed that the
HTTP server was scrambling the XML, but I wanted confirmation that it
wasn't something in the TCP/IP stack or happening on the client end. I'm
happy to know that the binary coding is linked specifically to the
Content-type header.

While I was searching for information, it became a lot more clear why it's
important to use UTF-8 or UTF-16 encoding for multi-language web sites and
services.

I'm writing a web service that will be used within a hub and spoke
topology (enterprise server bus). I will test with the "hub" to see if it
will accept content-type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8. If that fails then
I'll explore Henrik's tip about converting to UTF-8 myself in connection
with binary mode.

-Nathan