On 2013-01-18, at 3:31 PM, web400-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Most of the RPG programmers I know, including me, have made web pages,
can use Photoshop, maybe use Google Checkout, and have passing
familiarity of the Internet. All of that is needed, but it is outside
the scope of what I want to do with this project.

I want to read/edit/delete data from a physical file in my library on an
i, and do that on a web page, and do it with the basic tools, including
RDi, provided by IBM. All at somewhere close to the "Hello world" level.

OK - I am far from convinced that most RPG programmers have built a web page - I wish that were true.

But it doesn't matter because there is already at least one site that as far as I know already does exactly what you are proposing - and has been doing it for years - www.Easy400.net.

I know that you are familiar with CGIDEV2 so you'll know the site - so now what I need you to tell me is what is missing from the myriad tutorials that Giovanni has prepared? And if there are gaps, isn't it better to offer to fill those gaps rather than reinventing the wheel.

Not trying to be a downer Booth - just trying to determine exactly what/why you are trying to achieve.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com