Well, using jRuby and JDBC to connect is "native" enough for me and easily keeps up with the Rails community changes. It is also the fastest MRI implementation since it will compile down to machine code with JIT compiling (as far as I understand Java on i).

Plenty of comparisons of JRuby and MRI on the web but here is recent one:
http://cscarioni.blogspot.com/2012/06/simple-mri-ruby-v-jruby-performance.html

And another recent article with mention of AOT:
http://www.infoq.com/articles/state-of-jruby

The guys developing JRuby continue to improve the performance and implement the latest Java technologies with backward compatibility. I like that combination and the flexibility that using JRuby gives me with using existing jar's and other Java code.

Pete Helgren
Value Added Software, Inc
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java