I've enjoyed reading this discussion even thought I've been too preoccupied with other work to be able to respond, until now. I read Joe's first two articles; great work as usual. I hope to read the other two later. I also skimmed over most of the other references that others provided in their messages.

It's good to see interest in developing applications for mobile clients and a role for IBM i. A lot of technical conferences are focusing on mobile clients and IBM i needs to have a role in the growing paradigm shift in order to remain relevant.

I'm a little envious of you who are doing development for mobile clients, and grateful for the examples you've shared. But I'm also pleased with some of the progress we've been making lately with desktop browser user interfaces.

There were so many good comments here that it's hard to single out any one in particular, however I especially appreciated Paul Holm's examples of using HTML5 and JavaScript to connect to a phone's auto dialer, geo-location, voice input, and Google maps. I've seen other examples of launching a phone's Youtube application from a browser. I'd like to see an interface between a browser and a phone's camera. It would be great if a browser could interface with a phone's native resources. I hope that improves.

-Nathan