On 1/2/2012 9:51 AM, Henrik Rützou wrote:
Great articles.

Thanks. High praise, indeed! :)

You mentions CGIDEV2 as an alternative to write the REST service and I'm
not saying that it can't be done, but it has no "native" JSON support such
as node and data encoding support.

You're of course correct. But I've so far not needed those things. My JSON is pretty simple. I suspect a more complex application might need a little help.

There is however two other FREE utilities:

JSON Utilities by Mihael Schmidt

http://rpgnextgen.com/index.php?content=json

or

powerEXT Core (that is build on top of CGIDEV2 by me:

http://powerext.com

And either of these would do the trick. I hope to take a look at that later.

An important thing is that JSON only supports UTF-8 so
any character greater that ASCII x'7F' has to be properly
encoded.

Apache runs default with CCSID 819 and will need a
server directive such as

# UTF-8
DefaultNetCCSID 1208

to translate EBCDIC to UTF-8

Under what circumstances would this be required, Henrik? I'm not using it now and I don't run into any problems, but my data is quite simple. Would this be international characters, such as the ü in Rützou?

Joe