How does HTML5 work for apps that are stored and run entirely on the
client?

A very good question and one that has incrementally become possible as
HTML/CSS/Javascript have matured. Take a look at everything going on with
HTML5/CSS3 to learn more.

http://w3schools.com/html5
http://w3schools.com/css3

It has been said by industry experts that HTML5 was a release that focused
on web apps needs vs. content delivery.

But I do question using javascript as a client app programming language.

As you should. There are many ways to get into trouble with Javascript
because it runs in an environment that you don't have a lot of control over
(i.e. you don't get to pick the browser engine that your customers use when
they visit your website). BUT... what if you COULD pick the EXACT
browser/version and code specifically to that. That is one aspect that
PhoneGap gives you. In my perspective PhoneGap is basically a modified
webkit-based browser engine that allows Javascript to make calls into the
native functionalities of a mobile device (which is what keeps you from
having to write Java or Objective-C). It comes complete with callback
mechanisms and registering for services (i.e. GPS location call backs).

Who knows if this exact approach will be the one that wins out, but the
concept of having a single language/syntax/runtime that works on all
popular mobile devices will continue - at least I have no question in my
mind about that because of the things Joe has shared. I also am not liking
Objective-C, though I do believe Apple has superior products for a wide
cross section of the non-geek user base.

Aaron Bartell
www.MowYourLawn.com/blog
www.OpenRPGUI.com
www.SoftwareSavesLives.com