my answer in your mail...

Den 31/12/2010 kl. 09.27 skrev Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen:

Den 31/12/10 00.32, Kevin Turner skrev:
"As you know, apache/CGI has no task-switching, so basically all requests hits the same RPG program ( with a twist) - so you need to build you own kind of task switch feature into your CGI program, which also can be error prone when we talk about isolation."

You've lost me there. What is a "task switch feature"? I don't remember coding one of those :-)

I believe Niels is referring to the fact that a CGI program starts
mostly on a clean slate every time, so you need to build up data
structures etc, where in icebreak the job is continuing from where it
left off for the previous invocation in _this session_ so you can keep
your state in memory.

At least that's what I _think_.

Again Thorbjørn you are right;

A request in IceBreak can be compared to pressing the enter key in good old 5250:

- All files are open
- file pointers a left from previous request
- and so do record lock by the way,
- same goes for commitment control if you are using that.

All the above has to to be reinitialized in CGI

Another way to put it: IceBreak removes the nagging fact the the HTTP protocol is stateless

The best thing about it is; we let OS/400 do all the task-switching, purging, time-slicing which has been working great for ages

--
Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen "...plus... Tubular Bells!"