From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bent Rønne
Sent: 30 December 2010 15:00
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] 5250 programmer to web programmer

Hi Maurice

With IceBreak, you can choose which path you will go with your web development. You are not bound by any methods or mask programs, but can freely choose from all shelves. All the freedom which IceBreak makes available means of course that you must find the method that suits you best.

Some choose the ASP route, while others choose to split HTML, JavaScript (JS) and RPGLE in different files. Eg. I have recently programmed an "edit system value" maintain application - in ExtJs by the Way. I have divided the pieces into html, JS and RPGLE source in three different files.

You can find all sources here http://www.icebreak.dk/sysvaledit.zip

First there is my HTML (sysValEdit.html) who is just used to link things together with references to my JS and of course the primary link to the application (http://myserver:8080/sysValEdit.html) from the URL in the browser.

Eg.:

<script type="text/javascript" src="sysValEdit.js"> </ script> ...
</ Html>

sysValEdit.js is a larger file that is written in 100% JS and it is the one that contains the ExtJS code. It uses AJAX to retrieve my data from my System i. When the browser is ready for showing, it calls my RPGLE program SYSVALEDIT directly on my System i and returns data to the browser. The RPGLE program is written in pure RPGLE except for the first line of code in this example. This line is used by the IceBreak pre-compiler to switch to RPGLE. But if you like to have your RPGLE isolated in a source file in a library, you simple make your own 100 % RPGLE code and compile the source without the IceBreak pre-compiler - use whatever you like, WSDL, RDi, SEU to edit and compile - I don't care. All you need is a binding directory and guess what - it is called ICEBREAK.

This is just one way to use IceBreak on! You can choose the path that you yourself seem to suit you.

You should also know that there is an IceBreak community where you can find lot more information:

http://www.icebreak-community.com/

I hope that you can use my information in your quest for the perfect solution for Web and System i.

Regards

Bent Ronne
Technical Manager
System & Method A/S

NOTICE: The information in this electronic mail transmission is intended by CoralTree Systems Ltd for the use of the named individuals or entity to which it is directed and may contain information that is privileged or otherwise confidential. If you have received this electronic mail transmission in error, please delete it from your system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply email or by telephone, so that the sender's address records can be corrected.

CoralTree Systems Limited
25 Barnes Wallis Road
Segensworth East, Fareham
PO15 5TT