SEPs ARE available from the command-line debugger, since maybe V5R3 (admittedly, no documentation that clearly says how to do it). Jon and Susan, I think, had an article on it some time ago. Here's how I do it (and I do this a lot on customers, where I can't use anything they don't sanction):

STRDBG
Put cursor on statement I want to break on
Press F6
Note the statement number in the message line (it isn't always the same as you think)
Type SBREAK [stmt#] USER QTMHHTP1 (or whatever user you are actually going to work with)
Press F12

Now run the app, request from the browser, say, and you'll get a message saying the breakpoint occurred.
Press F1
Look for the STRSRVJOB command embedded in the text and copy it to clipboard
Go to another 5250 session - these days I use Attn key-option 1
Paste the STRSRVJOB command
STRDBG in this job
It will be positioned at the break statement - put cursor there and press F6
Press F12
Press Enter twice - this will release the job being debugged
Go again to alternate 5250 session - it will have stopped on the statement you are interested in
Keep on truckin' - er, debuggin!

This LOOKS harder than it really is - it's a lifesaver for all kinds of debug work. Now the SEP in RDP is a dream, but it's not always available.

HTH
Vern