From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Kelly Cookson
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2010 12:06 PM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Social media and RPG

I'm all for people having the tools to roll their own social media on
the IBMi. Different strokes for different folks.

However, if I personally needed to run social media on an IBMi platform,
I'd look at running open source packages via the Zend PHP server and
MySQL database.

I've used Drupal on other platforms and like it quite a bit. Drupal
provides polls, forums, blogs, wiki books, wiki-like pages, customizable
user profiles, contact pages, and RSS feeds all out-of-the box and
administered by a menu. There are also many modules you can install to
enhance Drupal capabilities.

I also like MediaWiki--the same wiki software used by Wikipedia. People
who are familiar with Wikipedia feel right at home with MediaWiki. There
are also extensions to enhance the capabilities of Mediawiki.

There are other packages such as WordPress and Joomla that should, in
theory, run on the IBMi via Zend PHP and MySQL. Also, there are a number
of bulletin boards and email lists that are written in PHP and use
MySQL.

I'm curious if anyone has used the Zend PHP server and MySQL database to
run Drupal and/or MediaWiki on the IBMi.

Kelly Cookson
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Dot Foods, Inc.
217-773-4486 x12676