Take a look at the Drawbacks and Alternatives section at the following URL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Gateway_Interface

It would appear that we don't have some of the issues. We have a
compiled language: RPG, we have processes that, once started, stay
running for as long as the server is up. That's where IBM i OS steps
in because it has, in my opinion, a more refined approach to managing
large workloads and other systems aren't built with the same thing in
mind.

Note also the stated comment on that page concerning J2EE. They
basically say the advantage of J2EE is that instead of creating a
process (aka Job), they are able to instead create a smaller unit - a
thread. I would be curious to know how much CPU time is required to
create a new J2EE thread vs. have Apache hand-off a "CGI" request to
an existing job?

Which begs the question, are we really doing CGI programming, or do we
just call it that because it sort of feels like it?

Thoughts?
Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com
http://mowyourlawn.com/blog/