Yeah, I'd love to make it big and have someone buy the Attendance Management System that I *do* sell (on rare occasions, I am not a good sales person). But I would still do what do now.

Pete

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot

On 6/3/2010 3:48 PM, Nathan Andelin wrote:
From: Aaron Bartell
Awhile back we had discussion about why in the heck someone would
want to give away source without much, if any, monetary or business
return.
I could relate to the video, too. Individuals pursuing activities that require thinking, and especially creativity, need and value autonomy and self-direction. And we're willing to sacrifice money, for it.

But individual ownership is a big motivator, too; reaping from that which you sew; which may not mesh with your ideas about open-source. How would you reconcile that?

BTW, I appreciated your comment on Steve Wills blog, as well as other places, promoting the idea of micro-partitioning IBM i servers in small enough slices, that individual programmers might afford autonomy, self-direction, and individual ownership of work product. Too many IBM i programmers are stuck with working only on employer's servers, where the employer controls the manner and means, so to speak.

-Nathan.