From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Aaron Bartell
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2010 9:47 AM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Why use PHP? What are the disadvantages?

I like PHP, but here are the things I believe are detractors (since that is
what you were looking for):

- If RPG is the primary language in your shop then adding PHP is adding
complexity. I am not saying it can't be done (many have done it
successfully), I am just saying there is much more complexity and now you
need to keep up with the half-life of information in the PHP space (much
more time consuming than doing the same for RPG which doesn't change nearly
as much - a good and bad thing)

- PHP for the most part is only a web language. For example, it isn't
something you would call for nightly batch processing. RPG on the other
hand can be used for many scenarios and it feel more natural - this makes a
difference to me.

- PHP runs on the IBM i, which is good, but it doesn't run "in" the IBM i.
What I mean by that is it doesn't, as far as I can tell, utilize all of the
things we have become comfortable with in doing debugging and what not (i.e.
if there is an error for a user you check their job and their spool files -
with PHP you no longer have the job log and spool file thing). PHP does
have some very cool logging features, so I am not saying it is bad - it just
doesn't approach it the same as RPG+CGI does, which means you need to
reeducate yourself on how to trouble shoot. Note that reeducation also
needs to happen to some extent when dealing with Apache in the RPG+CGI
scenario.

Just some thoughts.
Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com
http://mowyourlawn.com/blog/

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 8:32 AM, Tom Deskevich <