There is a large benefit from the point of view of security. SQL
Injection is one of the more common vulnerabilities on the net, besides
XSS. It is likely that a query which does not use bound parameters is
vulnerable to SQL Injection. Properly escaping your variables is much
better than simply putting them in a query string but bound parameters,
IMHO, are the closest you can get to a guarantee of security when
building queries.

Kevin Schroeder
Technology Evangelist
Zend Technologies, Ltd.