Hi Mike,

I understand the problem and it is unfortunate that browsers don't issue
some manner of browser closing event to let displayed pages clean up but
that is not the case. However WebFacing does try to indirectly detect
that the browser is being closed and end the session for you. There are
limitations though. For versions of WebFacing prior to 7.0.0.8 it will
only work with IE 5.5-6.x. If you are using WebFacing 7.0.0.8 or later
then it will work for IE 7 and likely IE 8 if the WF session is the only
window. It may work for an active tab if the browser is closed (I would
have to check that though) but won't detect the closing of an individual
tab.

Outside of that the job will be cleaned up when the HTTP session idle
time-out expires, this is typically 30 minutes though some make it much
longer. Depending upon your app you could use the keep-alive solution
that I wrote to work with WebFacing (
http://webfacing.wikidot.com/session-keepalive) and shorten the HTTP
session idle time-out down to some small number of minutes. Using this
would keep the session alive as long as the browser window exits and cause
the session to be ended more quickly after it goes away. Note that this
would have two side effects, that is if you browse away from the app for
some time you risk ending the session and also that the session will not
time-out normally if you walk away from the browser.

If you find a better solution for detecting that the browser window or tab
has closed I would be interested to hear about it.

Mike

Mike Hockings, P.Eng.
IBM Rational Host Access Transformation Services Development
IBM Canada Ltd. Laboratory
hockings@xxxxxxxxxx
voice 1-905-413-3199 T/L 313-3199 ITN 23133199
http://www.ibm.com/software/rational/cafe/community/hats