Mike,
this is an example of database driven apache configuration.
the use case is not identical to your problem, but similar enough.
in your case, you will generate the redirects based on the schools
database.
Notice that this is not a dynamic configuration: Apache must be restarted
for changes to take place.

http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/ApacheVirtualHostMysql
Regards,
Shalom Carmel