Haas, Matt (CL Tech Sv) skrev:
<rant>
One thing I don't understand is why there is so much reliance on IBM to do *everything* for the i. The whole reason this is available on Windows and *nix platforms is because someone took the time to develop it in the first place and port it to the platforms it has binaries for. This doesn't appear to be vendor driven at all.

It seems to me like a lot of the i's image problems are caused by people's unwillingness to do things for themselves. It's great when IBM delivers things but the basic building blocks to do pretty much anything are already there and IBM provides guides (and even help in some cases) on porting software from other platforms so why not give it a try and see what happens? Worst case is it doesn't work and you'll have to find another solution.
</rant>
<rant>
Apache was built by hobby programmers who helped each other build a strong web server based on the original NCSA sources and contributing pieces and bits for the common good. This ran on Linux which is ALSO a system built by hobby programmers which just happens to be good enough for production use as everybody builds on each others contributions.

I don't know about you, but here the "i" is not a hobby thing, but a pay-for thing where there is a strong focus on the bottom line and where there is much focus on earning the money to pay for the machine and software so there is no impediment in doing small incremental contributions to the common good, and it is only available to those who HAVE paid. Try get IBM to let you have hobby access to an i? (and same thing with AIX by the way)

As long as this is not available to the general public it is only IBM and those individuals with both skills, compilers, time and need that can advance that state.
</rant>

If you don't know the history of Apache it is hard to see at a glance why the Apache and the i community are so different. :)