From: Niels Liisberg <liisberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 8, 2009 11:59:50 AM
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Pete's web5250 was->Re: Business Developers was ->Re: IBM Gives RPG Devotees Their Own Café

Gents;

Just to follow up on my idea before Christmas. – to build a JSON AJAX client
for 5250 data.

I have made a simple running prototype so I’m convinced it can be done.

This tiny emulator demo is written 100% in RPGLE, and can be used as
workstation scripting screen scraper prototype.

The current version is simply is using plain HTML, but the real goal - a
more fancy JSON / AJAX providing data for JavaFX or just javaScript will be
super simple to implement.

The prototype is fare from stable and lot of stuff to be done, but you can
give it a try it on:

http://icebreak.org:60000/icecap04.aspx

Login with user: DEMO and password: DEMO – You need to type in UPPERCASE

… please don’t do anything stupid while you logged on .

The source is available at:

http://demo.icebreak.org/webfiles/icebreak/iceCap.zip

The iceCap.zip contains the following:

iceCap.rpgle.h The prototypes for the client

iceCap04.aspx This is the tiny emulator implementation
written in RPGLE for IceBreak

scv242.c The iceCap API module that deals
with all the ugly 5250 stuff

vtTrace.txt A JSON log of a simple session login
on, CFGTCP etc.

I have used IceBreak as the server (I’m a little biased here) but I have
made the iceCap API reentrant so it can be ported to CGIDEV2 if anyone will
be interested …

The code is a monolith – I know – it’s a prototype – don’t complain…

Best regards

Niels Liisberg
IceBreak Chief SW Architect

System & Metode Technologies