From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2008 11:19 AM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] sql in php with paging

Nathan Andelin skrev:
Do you have any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

When a few of my Java colleagues were trying to implement paging, I suggested that each user session be given their own DB connection and allow the QZDASOINIT servers to maintain state for each, rather than running a new Select for each page. They rejected that idea initially, over concerns of scalability, but after several attempts with other designs, they came back and implemented it the way I originally suggested.

I have just finished refreshing my Java knowledge and found that the
Java Persistance Arcitechture (JPA) defined in EJB3 can run on non-J2EE
servers (plain web containers or stand-alone applications) and is very
powerful. It allows for simple paging by setting the "start at" and
"give me X items" on each query, and then letting the persistence layer
deal with asking the database properly.

I have played with the Hibernate implementation in MyEclipse and did
some work with AS/400 as the backend. You must have journalled tables
as this is always in a transactional setting.

When you get this up and running the JPQL (sql look alike) is extremely
powerful and allows for rapid prototyping of new facilities!

/Thorbjørn